Design Project Manager
Part-time contract | remote
Posted July 19, 2023. Application deadline: August 31, 2023.
And Also Too is a community-accountable design studio. We make design, art, and technology for social movements and grassroots communities.
We practice design in ways that center the people who will be impacted by what we are making. We are guided by the Design Justice Network Principles, which we also co-authored.
We offer collaborative design (“co-design”) facilitation, co-design consultation, and visual design for print & digital platforms.
We are a fully remote studio, with team members in the US (Vermont, New York) and Canada (Toronto, Montreal). We are committed to a workplace culture of care and access.
About the Position
And Also Too is looking for a Design Project Manager to support our team in running projects that:
- Meet changing needs that emerge through the design process;
- Are of excellent design and service quality;
- Are accountable to the communities we are working with; and
- Practice care for all parties involved.
The Project Manager will join the studio’s Creative Team alongside the Creative Director and Designers.
- Work with clients and Creative Team (Creative Director & Designers) to plan project scopes and work plans that allow us to provide excellent service and quality, are sustainable for all parties, and are accountable to communities;
- Work with the Leadership Team (Creative Director & Operations Director) to navigate shifting needs as they emerge;
- Hold a big picture view of projects while monitoring smaller moving parts;
- Support the Designers in meeting their deadlines while working within budgets;
- Manage the workload of the Creative Team to prevent burnout;
- Maintain project file organization and project documentation; and
- Attend meetings, maintain communication, and track progress with project partners, Creative Team, Leadership Team.
Time commitment and compensation
This is a part-time remote contract position for those based in Canada or the United States. It will begin with a 6-month contract requiring a commitment of between 10–20 hours/week between Monday and Thursday.
Compensation will range between $20–25/hr, depending on experience. A longer term commitment may be negotiated at the end of the contract period. The contractor will be asked to provide their Social Security/Insurance Number.
The contractor should have their own computer, phone, and reliable internet access. And Also Too provides a modest technology stipend to supplement the cost of these expenses. And Also Too will provide access to necessary software subscriptions.
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate has 3 years’ experience in some aspect of digital or communications design practice. This could be in the areas of UX, UI, graphic design, or co-design, and could be in a design, project management, or facilitation role. They should be:
- Intimately familiar with design workflows;
- Able to demonstrate their commitment to social justice through formal or informal work in their community; and
- Interested in the emergent work of transforming design practice and design studio culture to be more just and liberatory.
Listed below are minimum qualifications and skills. However, we know that everyone travels a unique path. If you are a close but not exact fit with the items below, we would still encourage you to apply.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience with design workflows, either as a designer, facilitator, or project manager; and
- A stated commitment to practicing according to the Design Justice Network Principles
- Ability to create and manage complex work plans;
- Exceptional communication, planning, managerial, and organizational skills;
- Ability to solve complex logistical and project management challenges;
- A working understanding of graphic and digital design practices and workflows;
- Technical proficiency in project management, collaboration, and budgeting tools such as Asana, Google Workspace, and Harvest;
- A demonstrated commitment to self-care, community care, social justice, and anti-oppression; and
- Ability to communicate and receive communication non-violently
You are not expected to possess any of these, but if you do, please feel free to mention them in your application.
- Written or spoken proficiency in a language other than English
- Knowledge of design justice and collaborative design practices
- Community organizing experience
- Familiarity with graphic and digital design software
- Facilitation experience
- Strong writing skills
- Social media management experience
- Familiarity with emergent strategy
- Experience in facilitative leadership
How to apply
Preference will be given to applicants who have lived experience of the issues our work addresses, as well as those who face systemic barriers to hiring.
We want to make the application process as accessible as possible, so if you have any questions or would like to suggest alternative application items, please let us know.
Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A 1-page cover letter or link to a 3-minute video introducing yourself and explaining your interest in the position. If you choose to submit a video, please just record yourself talking (no fancy effects or B-roll). Choose the format that is most accessible to you.
- A 1-2 page resume.
- One or both of the following:
- For those with design experience: Design portfolio PDF or link
- For those with project management experience: Up to 3 examples of complex project workplans you have created
- A list of any access requests you have for the interview/selection process.
If you are selected for an interview, we may ask you to provide more details in advance about one or more of the projects in your portfolio/workplans.
|Application posted||July 19|
|Application deadline||August 31|
|Interviews||Late August to mid-September|
|Selection & notification||Mid to late September|
|Start date||Late September to early October|
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting in late July 2023, and interview invitations will be sent out soon after that.
We will confirm receipt of all applications. We will only reach out to selected candidates for interviews. The application period will close once we find a suitable candidate.
Please send any questions to email@example.com.